The Congregation of the Sisters of Our Lady of Fatima was founded by Msgr. Francis Xavier Kroot, MHM, on 8 February 1893 at Bellary in Karnataka, then under the archdiocese of Madras, by Msgr Francis Xavier Kroot, MHM. Born on 7 December 1854, in Holland, Francis Kroot joined the Mill Hill Missionary Society of St Joseph,was ordained a priest on 8 June 1878 and reached India on 8 August 1878. He served in the capacity of a military chaplain in Poonamallee, Madras and Bellary.
His dream of having a Congregation of Indian women who would carry on the missionary work of caring for the less fortunate and underprivileged natives was finally realized in 1893 with the inception of the Congregation bearing the name as the “Missionary Sisters of St. Francis Xavier”. The Sisters of Good Shepherd were entrusted with the formation of the candidates and Rules for the independent Congregation were drawn up and approved by Bishop Joseph Colgan.
Founder: Msgr. Francis Xavier Kroot
Provincial: Sr. Verediana Rodriques
Fatima Mata Sadan
Mahakali Caves Road
Mumbai 400 093
FATIMA ASHRAM, Mandali
With the establishment of the new Mandali Parish that was entrusted to the Jesuit Fathers, Archbishop S. Fernandes in consultation with the Fathers, contacted the Fatima Sisters and proposed Mandali as the scene of their apostolate in the Archdiocese. With the approval of the Archbishop, the Society of Jesus and the Congregation signed an agreement. August 1st 2004 marks the foundation of the first house of Fatima Convent in the Archdiocese of Gandhinagar.
House started: 1 August 2004
Nr. St. Xavier’s High School
Village Mandali, Post Ambliasan
Mehsana Taluka & District 382 732
Community: Sr. Vincy D’Souza (Superior)
Sr.Sahaya Rani Paul
Sr. Emma Matikhadya
Sr. Bharati Chandi
Sr. Ratna Dedu
Apostolates: Pastoral, Educational, Girls’ Hostel, Dispensary & Mobile Clinic, Women empowerment and Tailoring classes and Adult literacy.